Monday 12 March 2012

A note on reading

I updated you on my classic reading last week and this week I wanted to let you know about some of the non-classic but nevertheless exciting reading I have been doing lately and have coming up.

source

At the moment, I am 650 pages into this saga - Fall of Giants, by Ken Follett.  I got into this author when I read and watched Pillars of the Earth last year which I couldn't recommend highly enough.  Fall of Giants is very different but equally brilliant.  Set during WW1, it follows the lives of an interlinked group of people from across Europe and America and how the war effects their lives.  For me, it's really brought my GCSE and A-level history to life.  I've even ordered it for my grandmother as I think she will love the story, especially the parts set in the Welsh mines and the 'upstairs, downstairs' manor house storyline.

When I finish this novel, I'm looking forward to getting into the Fire and Ice saga having watched the first season based on the books - Game of Thrones.  I didn't realise they were based on books when we watched it and I want to get ahead of the game before the next season makes an appearance.

My next book buy will be another Ken Follett, the follow up to Pillars of the Earth - World Without End.

No comments:

Post a Comment