Wednesday 30 July 2014

Reading Review

Since it's the only thing I can do during the long feeds, I've been flying through some good books lately. I already wrote about Atonement but here are three more.

The Fault in our Stars

This was a purchase I made after reading all the hype around the book and film. It was a really good read but I'd expected a little more after reading so much.

The story follows a terminally ill teenager's romance and as you might expect is a tearjerker. I think the novel is aimed more at teenagers. I actually read another review lately where the reviewer identified the most with the girl's parents and I have to agree. I'd still recommend it though.

The Lincoln Myth

The latest Steve Berry book sees Cotton Malone return to the US to work on a case involving President Lincoln and the Church of the Latter Day Saints. I have always preferred the Euopean adventures but having studied American history, I found this one interesting too. 

I never normally read the authors notes but I usually have to read Berry's to seperate truth from fiction, so good is his writing. If you like Dan Brown, you'd probably like this.

Mercy

Nico recently read this book in German and bought the English translation for our anniversary. Now we are both hooked on Scandanavian writer, Adler-Olsen. 

The novel follows detective Carl Morck in his first investigation heading his own unsolved crimes department. It has many of the usual dark aspects we've come to expect from Scandanavian writers with a bit of humour from interesting characters. I'll be ordering some more soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment