Wednesday 6 July 2016

Reading Review

Lolita - Vladimir Nobokov

This read came from the BBC book list I'm still working my way through.

As soon as I read the blurb, I knew it was going to be a difficult read. It took me a long time to wade through this one. It wasn't thrilling but I did want to stick with it.

The idea of a middle aged man having such an influence on his step-daughter is disturbing but I did want to know what happened to her.

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

I also came to this book through the BBC list. I expected it to be more like 1984 but I found that this novel took the idea to a whole new extreme.

It's a lot more surreal and unrealistic than 1984, yet strangely ahead of its time in some social respects. I found it a really interesting read that made me reflect on life and politics in general.

The Drums of Autumn - Diana Gabaldon

The fourth book in the Outlander series was every bit as good as the first three. It sees the main characters settling in the American colonies and I love the play between past and present with the next generation. It brings a lot of action and interesting new twists to the story. Looking forward to the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment