Thursday 12 August 2010

The Kindness of Strangers

It's been a bit of a rollercoaster week this week.  It didn't get off to the best of starts.  In the first place my papers didn't come through (and still haven't) so I haven't been able to go in to work.  On Tuesday, I had two appointments to keep, the first with the bank manager who was going to explain my new account to me.  It might not sound that important but the hostel has been inundated with post for me, just from the bank rather than the post that I actually need.  So I have a mountain of papers and little idea as to what I need to do with them all.  Anyway, the appointment was set for 3.30.  I arrived at 3.25 and someone was already in his office (glass office I might add, so he was well aware that I was there).  3.30 came and went, as did 3.45 and 4pm.  Finally, at 4.15, he still had made no show of getting rid of the cutomer or even given me a sign as to how long I would have to wait so I left for my other appointment.

The second appointment had been scheduled for last Friday - it was to view a flat I had seen online before I left England and I had made the appointment the Friday before.  I'm pinning quite a lot of hopes on the flat based on the ad, the location and how it looks from the outside, especially after my lack of success last week.  So I had already been disappointed when the viewing was put back first to Monday and then Tuesday.  I arrived bang on time at 5.30 and nobody was there, I rang the doorbell, tried a neighbour and still - nothing.  I rang the letting agents office - no reply.  I waited there until 6pm and nobody arrived.  I emailed the agency as soon as I got back and still I have had no explanation but I was so fed up with myself on Tuesday night - getting nowhere fast with sorting things out.

However, by Wednesday morning, I had decided to put my energies to better use.  I emailed about ten more flats in the area to arrange new viewings, started planning my lessons for when I am finally allowed to start and picked up where I left off (nearly a month ago) with my French lessons.  I have even found a French class in the area that starts up in September so that I can get some speaking practice.  Also, I have been struggling with my dissertation proposal since the classes that I have been given by the school are not the ones that I thought I was getting and the project I had intended to do won't work now.  I didn't want to tell my advisor since it took a long time to get the university to agree to my doing the dissertation out here and I didn't want them to change their minds.  This morning, I had a brainwave though.  There was a project that I was working on in my NQT year that involved some new classroom ideas and techniques.  These didn't really apply to the school I was in last year but the German school has a very similar system and I am hoping to use this for my dissertation.  So now that I am feeling more motivated, I am going to spend the next few days getting the proposal ready and getting a reading list together for the next month or so.

The best news of the week though, I have saved until last and it is really what the title of this post is about.  Last night, I went to visit a teacher from school who had called to say that he and his wife had a spare room with it's own bathroom that I would be able to stay in.  I was a little nervous after we had set this meeting up - what if they didn't like me, what if they expected me to stay there for the whole time I was here, how limiting might it be to live with a young family?  A lot can be lost in translation and I wasn't even sure on what I had understood and what had yet to be discussed.  When I got off the tram, and headed for the address, I was amazed at how beautiful the area was.  This was more what I remembered from where I had lived in Germany before.  Everything was so green and peaceful.  When I arrived, I was introduced to the whole family.  Kai, Natalie and there two children Emil (3) and Fenna (1 next week).  The children are very cute.  The house is also beautiful and fairly big - cellar, four bedrooms, three bathrooms, kitchen, living room, study and balcony over a gorgeous garden.  The whole second floor (bedroom, bathroom and study) is where I can stay but they also said that I am very welcome to spend time with the family or stay in my own space as I wish.  They also offered me the use of one of their bikes.  The garden has a huge plum tree with far more plums than they can eat so if anyone knows any good recipes... I quite fancy some time cooking over the weekend.  And for all of this, they expect nothing in return.  I intend to give them some money for bills etc, but they won't even ask for rent.  This small German family, who don't even know me are handing me a key to their house tomorrow and in doing so have completely restored my faith in humanity.  It's not something that's widespread and maybe it is only my opinion but I don't think there would be many in England willing to open their homes in such a way.

Anyway, I am going to buy some gifts for when I move tomorrow and make the most of my last day in the hostel.  This weekend is La Strada which I believe is a bit of a street festival / circus so I will hopefully have some pictures to post over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment