Friday 20 May 2011

Pay it Forward

When I arrived here last year, the first month was a complete whirlwind of paperwork, translation nightmares and financial black holes.  By the time we were put in touch with others from the programme, I had just about got my head around things which is why I've been wondering for months why there's no system in place to help native speakers as they arrive and why last month I emailed the recruitment agency and asked them to pass on my email address to this year's new recruits if they wanted and advice or answers because moving abroad is a scary thing!

Today, I had what I hope will be the first of many coffees with hopefully one of the new recruits.  The lady in question is currently weighing up her options in deciding whether to move here or not this Summer and I really hope she does.  I think she would love it here.  I'm also a little bit selfish but since Linda headed off back to the Emerald Isle, I've missed our little chats and hope to get a little social group of native speakers together for the next academic year.

Either way, I hope the candidate does what's best for her, if nothing else, it was good to make a new friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment