Thursday 23 June 2011

German Schools

My first year here in Germany and in the German school system is drawing to a close.  It is only about a year since I heard I had the job and my perception of German schools at that time could not have been more different to what it is now.  Most people who have studied German or been lucky enough to take part in an exchange should be aware that in Germany pupils don't wear uniforms and each class has its own classroom and the teachers move around school, unlike in England.  Indeed this was the extent of my knowledge a year ago and I've certainly learned the hard way since the staff here assume that things are the same in England, and to be honest I can't blame them because I would have acted the same if the situations were reversed.  So here are some of the things I have learned:
  • Parents have many more rights and access to schools here.  I was shocked to have a parent sat in with the class one day but when I asked, was informed it's normal.  If I didn't want her there, I had the right to ask her to leave.  I didn't do this as I have nothing to hide but I was on edge the whole lesson.  One advantage is that the pupils, especially her child behaved better than ever, the disadvantage is the heart of yesterday's blog.  When parents criticise the way you teach and can be quite confrontational.  I felt quite threatened yesterday as I was outnumbered because the 'spokesparent' for that class was also there.
  • There is less structure among the staff.  There are Heads of Departments but they do not tell you what to teach beyond following the book and as a teacher I have been pretty much left to my own devices all year.  Instead, staff work more in year groups.  I work in every year group but as I have three year six classes, I joined that year team.  The meetings are pretty regular (every three weeks or so) and cover a range of pastoral and academic areas.
  • Dress code is much more casual for teachers as well as pupils.  A year ago, I could never imagine myself teaching in jeans which I now do every day.
  • Rules are less restrictive.  I'm still undecided on how much I like this one.  At first I was extremely careful about not touching pupils as it is a big no no in England.  However, when pupils refuse to leave the classroom when asked or even worse, put themselves or others in dangerous situations, it really is a necessity and since observing colleagues doing the same, it's become a regular thing with the younger ones.  (The older ones are generally too big and I still apply the rule of not putting myself at risk).
  • This one I love - last year, I was often required to cover PE lessons and there always seemed to be an injury in the course of the lesson.  There was a school nurse but the sports fields were so far from school that I often worried about the response times and requested to take a First Aid Course.  I was told however, that the school had a policy of not sending all teachers on First Aid Courses because they were only insured for certain people to practice First Aid and there was too big a risk of being sued!!  In the Autumn I found out the German Policy and for once, I like their system of organisation and common sense:  Every teacher has to take a First Aid Course at least every two years and the only thing a teacher can be sued for in an emergency situation is doing nothing.  Simples.
  • The latest difference I have learned has been based on the exams.  Pupils don't take GCSEs here.  In the equivalent year group, they take written exams in English, German and Maths and a speaking exam in one other subject of their choice.  Not only this but I was surprised to discover that I would be running, invigilating and marking the English written exam myself.  Whereas in England, I am not allowed in the exam room, shouldn't be invigilating and never see the scripts of my pupils, I do all of that here.  Then I assign the final grades, which aren't only based on the exam!  It's a big responsibility.
Well the list isn't exhaustive but these are some of the biggest lessons I have learned this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment