Monday 8 August 2011

Back on the Wagon

As of yesterday I am back on the Weightwatchers Wagon in terms of food.  (I can't promise anything on the drinking front until the holidays are officially over)  We got of to a great start with a delicious pork Sunday roast.  When Nico said he wanted a nice meat dish and not just mince and chicken that we normally eat, I have to admit I did wrinkle my face up a little bit.  I am not a fan of red meat, and of all red meat, pork is probably the last I would pick out.  I eat it and if it's well cooked I really enjoy it but it's not the first thing I pick from the menu or in this case, the latest Weightwatchers magazine.  Yesterday, I was proved wrong. 



This delicious recipe involves cooking the meat for a long time which is perfect for my taste and with all of the veg and spices, it was delicious.  Here's what we did:

  • Preheat the oven to 180c.
  • Put 300g of potatoes (cut into wedges) and an onion (also cut into wedges) in a casserole dish.
  • Pour over 50ml of white wine and 50ml of vegetable stock.
  • Lay 250g of pork on top of the potatoes and onion and season well with salt and pepper.  
  • Roast for 1 hour 15 minutes.
  • Add 3 quartered peppers and four garlic cloves to the vegetables and lay the pork back on top.  Season again and add some thyme.
  • Return to the oven for 30 minutes.
  • Meanwhile cook some spinach.
  • Rest the pork and serve the vegetables.  Add sauce thickener to the remaining juices.
  • Carve and serve the pork with the sauce, vegetables and spinach.
There are also lots of other great recipes in the August edition - take a look!

No comments:

Post a Comment