Tuesday 9 August 2011

London Riots

Ever since I moved to Germany, there has been a big balancing act in my mind.  Sometimes the way things are in this country have made me question my decision to move here and sometimes things happening in England make me glad I made the move. 

Despite these mental disputes, I have always been proud of my heritage and nationality.  This morning though, was possibly the first time I have ever been ashamed of my country.


I am a believer in freedom of speech and of the press and am quite interested in finding out exactly what happened to Mark Duggan and why but I'm not sure on what planet an unjustified shooting (if it was that) can justify burning people in their beds!  

I also saw a video on Facebook this morning showing the looting of a Curry's store.  If it were purely a sign of protest, I would have expected every other store on the street to be looted too yet it was the only one.

I just hope that for the sake of other residents of London and the other cities involved, either people come to their senses or the government get things under control soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment