Tuesday 28 February 2012

Classics

source
As you saw in my goals diary last week, one of my targets this year is to read at least one classic and one modern book per month.  I have no problem with the modern books, we have plenty of those left that I still haven't read (despite the book ban having lasted over a year now).  However, when deciding what to read for February, I realised I'm all out of classics.  By classics, I mean those that appear in the classics section of Thalia.  I've really gotten into this kind of book in the last year.  Here are some I've already read:

  • Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
  • A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
  • Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
  • Emma - Jane Austen
  • Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
  • Mansfield Park - Jane Austen
  • Persuasion - Jane Austen
  • Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
  • Wuthering Heights -  Emily Bronte
  • Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
  •  The Prelude - William Wordsworth

So last week so the lift of the book buying ban in order to stock up on some classics at Thalia.  I haven't much time left in February so I stuck to some relatively short ones - The Secret Garden and The Catcher in the Rye.  The latter of which I started this weekend.

Following this, I took Nico into Thalia to show him the classics corner and discovered that all of the Penguin classics were priced around 2.10 each!  Unable to miss such a bargain, I stocked up on ten more classics (enough to keep me going for the year and allow the reintroduction of the book buying ban) for the bargain price of 37 Euros!  I already finished off my February classic - The Importance of Being Earnest!

2 comments:

  1. Which have been your favourites so far? I always want to read more classics but there's a few that I didn't really enjoy (like Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre - maybe the Brontes aren't for me!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there have been any that I didn't enjoy but my favourites were probably the Dickens books. The ones that are focused on women (written by the women) frustrate me a little with how women were expected to behave back then and Dickens doesn't always stick to those expectations. I liked Jane Austen's books but some of them seemed a bit similar to each other. Madame Bovary and Tale of Two cities also ticked the European box for me as well and TOTC has the history connection too so maybe that would be my favourite over all.

    ReplyDelete