Sunday 15 July 2012

28 things - grow and eat a vegetable.



When I wrote my 28 things list back in April, we were just getting to grips with the balcony and having the space and knowledge to develop our green fingers.  I've managed flowers and herbs and decided to try my hand at vegetables.  Having somewhat limited experience with them at home, I decided tomatoes were my best option and we bought a tomato plant at the garden centre.



It's been a steep learning curve, including repotting, replacing the supports and learning to prune but the plant is thriving and has several bunches of tomatoes growing now.  This week, one of them finally ripened, giving me something else to smile about every time I look on the balcony and on Friday we incorporated it into a light lunch with Nico's home grown basil (delicious and also thriving) and some mozzarella cheese.  Of course one tomato wasn't enough and we also used some store bought ones but actually I was glad as it gave me a point of reference to make comparisons and I could definitely taste a difference.  The balcony tomato was somehow more tangy or fruity.  



Just looking forward to all the others ripening up now!


No comments:

Post a Comment