Tuesday 3 July 2012

Childhood Films

source
On Saturday evening I went back to my roots and watched this old classic.  E.T. was one of the big movies of my childhood, it brought me to tears every time I watched it.  Saturday was probably the first time in about twenty years that I watched it and I have to say it's a very different experience as an adult, the movie did still bring me to tears though - the classics will do that to you!  I noticed the music more than ever, not many films have such great scores any more.  I thought the acting from the children was great but was surprised at how poor the mother's character seemed compared to when I was younger and how young the actors looked!  I was also surprised that I wasn't terrified by this film as a child.  I still remember having to run out of the school hall on a snow day so nobody so me cry at the part where he dies!  Classic.

source

Here is another of my former favourites - Labyrinth.  I used to love this fantasy tale as it seemed like another world.  I especially liked the bit with the two guys above as I could never figure it out.  It's another one I added to my adult collection but unlike E.T. it seemed more of a let down when watched through grown up eyes.  The effects certainly didn't stand the test of time and I didn't find it as enjoyable but I'm holding on to it for future generations as it's a great kids film.





source
When thinking back to the films of my childhood, many Disney ones come to mind but this has to be the top of the list.  Little Mermaid was the first film I ever saw at the cinema.  We were on holiday in Scarborough and my little sister was just a baby so my Mum stayed at the cottage with her while my Dad took my brother and me to the cinema.  I loved the film but cried all the way home and scared my mother to death when she saw me all upset...all because I couldn't believe that Ariel would leave her father and sisters to go off and get married - what a Daddy's girl!!  This one is also in my collection now.

What films take you back?

No comments:

Post a Comment