Monday 9 July 2012

Interview!

This week my old school friend, Leanne has answered my questions to let us know a little about her experience moving abroad. 


Tell us a little bit about yourself.

I’m Leanne, I’m 27 and I come from Yorkshire. I graduated from the University of Leeds in 2007 with a degree in Political Studies. I currently live in Gliwice, which is a city in the South West of Poland. I have been teaching English since my arrival in January 2011.

Which countries did you move from and to and why?

I moved from England to Poland in January 2011. After years of wanting to experience living abroad, I finally applied for a job in Poland. I had never considered Poland as an option prior to applying, but it seemed like a good opportunity to try both teaching and living in a foreign country. Three weeks later, I arrived at a very cold Krakow airport (thinking ‘Why did I decide this would be a good idea?!’)


What kind of expectations did you have before you moved?

My knowledge of Poland was limited before I moved here, so I wasn’t sure what to expect in terms of the country. Although I was apprehensive at first, my initial contract was only for 5 months, so I was aware that if I hated it, at least it would be over quickly!

Despite these early worries, I was very excited to try something new. I expected to learn a lot about Polish people and culture. I also hoped I would be able to learn a little of the language, and meet some interesting people.

Did your new country live up to these expectations?

Yes. And much more. After arriving and having a two-week orientation in Krakow, I moved to Gliwice. From the first day, I felt at home. The people were very welcoming and friendly. The city is fantastic. The students were lovely, and were keen to teach me about Poland.

What was the best thing about moving?

The people I have met and the things I have done. Moving here opened up a lot of new things to me and I have tried to get involved with as many as possible.

What was the worst thing?

It can be frustrating living in a country and not having a good grasp of the language, although I have never had any real problems with communication. Small things can also be irritating – such as Post Office etiquette! However, I wouldn’t say there are any really bad things about moving. My experience has been extremely positive overall.

What has been your favourite experience since you moved?

My current location means it is easy and cheap to travel. So far, I have visited Ukraine, Germany, Slovakia, Austria and Czech Republic. I’d say my favourite experience was going to lunch one day with a friend and just deciding to go to Prague on a whim. An hour later we were packed and on the bus to the border.

What steps have you taken to accustom yourself to your new country?

I have started Polish lessons and am trying to study at home. It is a very difficult language to learn, but after a year of being completely baffled by the grammar, I am slowly starting to understand! Polish people are proud of their country and customs, and a lot of students and friends have taken me to visit the mountains, museums, lakes, castles and even a salt mine. They are very keen on sharing traditions, too (many of which revolve around food and alcohol). This has made it incredibly easy to settle in.

What tips would you give someone else thinking of moving abroad / to your country?

Do it! In my experience it has been the best thing I’ve ever done, and has given me a lot more confidence to just go out there and try different things. I have seen people move and decide that it wasn’t for them, but I think they all took something positive away from their experience. I also think that you get out what you put in. If you’re willing to make an effort to get to know the locals and the country, you will be rewarded. Talking more specifically about Poland, I would say that whatever preconceptions people have, they should leave them on the plane. It is a beautiful, interesting and very safe country. The people are some of the most welcoming and friendly I have ever met.

Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment