Tuesday 2 October 2012

Dracula


Well, I've just finished reading the latest on my classics list and it was possibly the best yet.  I managed to finish it in just a week - a record for a classic and me.  It was really well written and the language was much less taxing than some of the others I have read this year.

I have to say, despite my knowledge of Dracula and vampire mythology, I had no idea what to expect of the story itself.  I know of the kind of ideas that have built up around the idea of the Vampire but I never knew what the story itself was about.  

The story covers such a range of locations and view points that it really broke the narrative up, helping make it such a pleasure to read.  I love that Whitby plays such a huge part in the story as it is a town I love and one of the first places we took Nico to visit in England.  I also love that the story takes the reader through Europe and some German speaking places! 

I have to say that I am not big on horror stories and did spend a large proportion of the week I was reading this novel, scaring myself silly when alone but I would really recommend the book to anyone who likes a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment