Sunday 30 December 2012

The Saturday Update...on Sunday!

Nico and Gran
A bit of an irregular update this week.  We arrived back from our week in England yesterday and with the whirl of food shopping, unpacking and recovering that had to be done, I didn't get round to an update.

Caitlin enjoying her Christmas presents
Last Saturday we flew home but for the first time in a long time, experienced a five hour delay with our Ryanair flight which meant a long afternoon in Bremen airport (or rather the warehouse that passes for the Ryanair terminal).  Luckily we had books and games to keep us entertained.  I felt bad for those waiting with little ones.  The worst thing was that we were lined up at the gate before they told us and as our plane hadn't reached Manchester at that point, let alone set off again to Bremen, they must have known.  Anyway, latest Ryanair rant over...

Dad and Lucas
Saturday evening was nice as we watched the Strictly Come Dancing final live with family.  We weren't altogether impressed with the outcome but it was good to see the show live and together.

Who's got the biggest pile of presents?
On Sunday, we had a fairly quiet day.  We visited my Gran to see how she has settled in to her new flat.  The last time we were home, we moved her in on the last day of our visit so it was good to see her settled with boxes all unpacked.  Luckily, we spotted her on the way over as she had sneaked out to go shopping in town!!

Briony and Lucas having a paper fight with Dad
Christmas Eve was a flurry of visits.  First we headed into Leeds where we had a mad dash around for last minute presents, new jeans from Next (despite the poor range) and Christmas Dinner.  I headed over to visit Hayley and baby Isla with my sister for some wedding talk and catching up.  Then we saw my niece and swapped presents.  I was really pleased that her little fingerless gloves fit after guessing with the size.  It's always lovely to see my niece and nephew while we are back, I can't believe how fast they are growing up!  Later we headed over to my step-dad's family for tea which was lovely and then had a quiet evening at home with my Dad.

Lucas enjoying his Christmas presents
Christmas Day was the same procedure as every year!  Unfortunately, my little nephew Lucas had a heavy chest infection from Sunday and was not well at all.  He cheered up a bit with his presents - especially the noisy ones and was cheery again by the end of the week so we had some good times with him.  I received some lovely presents including the Barcelona and Paris charms for my Pandora bracelet, a wine tasting experience in Bremen and some new books to keep me going into the new year.  Dinner was lovely, I saved my cracker contents to show my class in the new year and it was great to see Gran eating so well.  Her Christmas present from Mum - a camel coat had to be taken back for a bigger size, which is great news for her!  After dinner, we had a lovely walk around Morley for some fresh air before a nice quiet evening with the cheese and biscuits.

Up to mischief in the car
Unfortunately, there is not a lot to say about Boxing Day as both Nico and I caught the virus that is going round and were very ill.  We couldn't get up until gone four and we were seriously drained and unable to eat properly for some days.  We weren't the only ones to get it either and I think this Christmas is the worst I can remember for people being ill.  Hopefully, 2013 will be better!  We went to my Mum's in the evening and the only good thing to take from that day is that we were introduced to a fantastic series called Hebburn.

Gran getting stuck in to her dinner

Dave and Mabel

Briony and David at Christmas Dinner
Feeling a little better on Thursday we headed back to my Dad's for family coming round in the afternoon.  It was great to see everyone and invite them to the wedding too.  We had a double dose of good news as my brother and his girlfriend got engaged on Christmas Eve too as it was their three year anniversary.  My cousin is going to be my fourth bridesmaid so it was nice to have seen them all for a catch up now.





Our night walk around Morley
On Friday we went to the Yorkshire Mill Village with Mum, Gran and Lucas for a bit of hat shopping and a lovely lunch.  Lucas was very jolly again and we had a great time.  In the afternoon we spent time with Dad, visited our neighbours who I hadn't seen in a while and had dinner with Hayley, Si and Isla before heading off to Mum's to finish Hebburn.  Packing was interesting but we managed most of it.

Gran
Mum and Lucas
Lucas having fun pulling hair
Saturday was just about getting back to Bremen.  Luckily the miserable weather in England, especially on the way to Manchester, didn't hinder us too much and we were back on time (or ten minutes early if you believe everything Ryanair says).  

Flying back

No comments:

Post a Comment