Wednesday 26 February 2014

Reading Round-Up

Daemon and Freedom - Daniel Suarez

This pair of books was recommended to me by Nico.  He loved them as they are crime novels written for computer geeks.  I was a little sceptical being about as blonde as they come when it comes to anything computer based.  However, I was very pleasantly surprised.  There were some bits that went a little over my head but they were not necessary in order to follow and enjoy the story.

What makes the books so good, although it is a little scary is that it could happen, many of the threads to the main storyline are either happening right now or could be in the future.  You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to enjoy the books though.  Very good crime fiction.  One thing though - don't just buy the first book - the ending was way to open for my liking, the second rounded things off nicely.

Peaches for Monsieur Le Cure - Joanne Harris

I've never read a Joanne Harris novel before but I have seen Chocolat and heard only good things about her work so I picked up this book on offer in London last year.  I was really glad I did.  The novel is so well written and it's quite the page turner.

For me the setting and the clash of cultures that this work examines were very appealing.  The only downside were the many references to the characters' past experiences which I assume were described in a novel that came out between Chocolat and this book.  I am tempted to research which of Harris' other books feature Vianne Rocher and snap them up.  In the meantime I will be rewatching Chocolat.

Desert Flower - Waris Dirie

While flicking through the channels at the weekend, we came across a programme clearly filmed in London which caught my interest - Nico realised it was the life story of Waris Dirie and couldn't believe that I had never heard of her.  We found her autobiography in Thalia at the weekend and I read it in just three days.  

Her life story is very interesting.  I was surprised myself that I had never heard of her - I think I was just born a little too late.  She was a supermodel in the eighties and nineties and is now a UN ambassador speaking out for African women, especially those who are subjected to the horrific practice of female circumcision - something she went through at the age of just five.  

The book is very informative - not just about female circumcision but several aspects of Somalian life and the ups and downs of Dirie's life.  An interesting and recommended read.

No comments:

Post a Comment