Thursday 20 February 2014

Reminiscing...

I recently started reading a new blog written by an old school friend.  She recently moved abroad and set up the blog to review her new experiences - ringing any bells yet?

Reading her first post took me right back to those first weeks in Bremen.  I can't believe how much has changed since then.  My life looked very different back then.  I originally only came over for a two year stint but I fell in love...with a man, with a job and with a way of life.  

What hit me more than these big changes however, was how much I take for granted now.  I was almost a little bit sorry to have left the times behind when every little thing was new - remembering to stock up at the supermarket on a Saturday because it doesn't open on Sunday, getting refunded for recycling bottles, paying for coffees when you leave a cafe rather than when you order, the whole school system...and probably a thousand other things that I don't even remember.  It almost made me want to move again.

Everybody should try life in a different country at some point.  Even if it is only for a few months, it can open your eyes so much and completely change your life.  I'll definitely be reading Jessica's blog in the future, reliving those early weeks and wishing her all the best in her new venture.

No comments:

Post a Comment