Monday 14 July 2014

Weltmeister!

source
I wouldn't describe myself as a football fan. I was brought up in a rugby household. However there is something special about supporting your country.

I was living in Barcelona on an Erasmus placement in 2006 which was also world cup time. It was great fun given that we had representatives from most countries there (certainly Europe and South America). Of course it was all good fun, watching the games with calamari and a Spanish beer. When Italy won, there was a huge celebration - they were probably the biggest group of students there.

This world cup will be another one which I will always remember. It started when we watched the group stage games in the hospital. The lady in our room was Columbian and her husband Spanish so between us we had four teams to champion. Despite England and Spain's performances this year, Germany did us proud and we can always tell Isabella about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment