Wednesday 24 September 2014

Book Review

Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck

This is one of the books on the BBC top 100 list and while I had heard of it, I had no idea what it was about. It follows a family in 1930's America, travelling to California in search of work. 

I really enjoyed the story itself, however the book was written in chapters that seemed to alternate between the family and more general, background information.

Also, it took me a while to reconcile myself to the ending. I don't want to spoil it but it seemed quite abrupt. The more I think about it though, the less I see how else it could have been done.

Crossstitch - Diana Gabaldon

I accidently picked up a book from the Outlander series when I first arrived in Germany and having heard about the television series, I decided to read from the beginning.

This first book tells of Claire, a WW2 nurse who time travels through a stone circle in Inverness, 200 years back in time. It's a really good read. The characters are well developed and the action keeps you turning the pages.

Looking forward to the next one!

Life of Pi - Yann Martell

Another one from the top 100 list, I devoured this in three days. It was a little spoilt in that I had seen the film first but I still really enjoyed it. 

As the title suggests, it tells the story of Pi. It begins with his childhood, gives you his religious background and follows his shipwrecked adventures in the Pacific.

I'd really recommend this book, preferably before you see the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment