Thursday 12 March 2015

Top 5 Childhood Meals

Lately, I've been looking back at my childhood a bit more - thinking about things that I want to do for Isabella too. Now that she's eating more and will try anything, I've been remembering some of my favourite dinners growing up and I wanted to share them with you today.

1. Yellow fish

Otherwise known as smoked haddock, we used to love this when we had tea at my gran's. I don't actually remember what we had it with but it was probably her homemade chunky chips and veg followed by peaches and ice-cream.

2. Tuna pasta salad

Quick, easy and fresh, I still love this delicious summer dinner. Mum taught me to make this and I look forward to making it with Isabella one day.

3. Shepherds Pie

At the opposite end of the seasonal scale - a real winter warmer. Though it is not well known here, it's one we've often made. Yum.

4. Friday night Fish and Chips

One that we can't entirely recreate here (although Nico came extremely close lately) used to make the start of our weekends. One of us kids used to pop down the hill with Dad to Hillycroft Fisheries and return with fish and chips four times and one sausage and chips for my fish-hating brother. 

5. Sunday dinner

With parents who both worked, we didn't eat together during the week so Sunday dinners were nice - and a tradition I really want to introduce in our family. My favourite is lamb with mint sauce and of course, there has to be Yorkshire puddings...

Bonus cheat

Heinz tomato soup. It took me ages to discover this in our local supermarket and I was immediately taken back twenty years with the first spoonful - delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment