Tuesday 19 May 2015

Reading Review

The Key & The Tower - Simon Toyne

These were the second and last books from the Sanctus trilogy. I originally picked these books up because they looked like the kind of book I usually read - adventure with a bit of history thrown in. On that front, I wasn't disappointed. 

It was quite a page turner that kept me guessing throughout. The religious side was more extreme and required some suspension of belief. 

On the whole a good read that I would definitely pass on.

The Whitstable Pearl Mystery - Julie Wassmer

I came across this book because Julie is a friend of the family. I read her story a few years ago and we stayed at her holiday home in Whitstable for Nico's 30th so I was keen to see what her new book was all about.

It's a really nice detective story set in the coastal town. As well as keeping you turning those pages to find out 'whodunnit', Julie really sets the scene and gives the reader lots of background about the area without being overbearing.

I really enjoyed the story and the characters and I'm really looking forward to the next book in the series later this year.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Arthur Conan Doyle

This is the latest from the classics list which I am still working my way through. I was keen to read it as I like the many adaptations which have been coming out lately and was keen to compare.

I was disappointed at first when the cases seemed so easy that I could figure them out but I kept going and the more difficult they became, the more I enjoyed it.

The magic of the book is in trying to figure out the complicated cases only to be pipped to the post by Sherlock and is inevitably simple explanation.

I was surprised to see how many Sherlock Holmes books Conan Doyle wrote, but I look forward to reading more of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment