Thursday 11 May 2017

Reading Review

Heidi - Johanna Spyri

This is one of my favourite childhood classics. There were lots of parallels with The Secret Garden in that contact with nature does wonders for children's health.

Of course there are lots of moral notes to the story. It's a wonderful children's classic.

The Keeper of Lost Things - Ruth Hogan

My Mum passed this one on to me. I had bought her it for Mother's Day having read rave reviews online. We both really enjoyed it.

It's several stories really. The main thread is about a man who collects and saves things that other people have lost. The book follows the attempts made to reunite them with their owners.

It was a nice break from the classics and I'd really recommend it.

The Call of the Wild - Jack London

This is another children's classic but one that I can't really recommend for children. It's brutal from the start, the language is difficult and the story isn't particularly exciting. It's not often that I don't enjoy a book on some level, but I didn't enjoy this one.

The only positive I can take from this book is that it tries to show things from the dog's perspective. I've often wondered what happened to our cat before he came  to us. This is an imaginative tale of what happens to a dog kidnapped from his comfortable, family home.

No comments:

Post a Comment