Thursday 6 July 2017

Reading Review

Rip Van Winkle - Washington Irving

This was a really odd one. It was from my 'children's classics' collection and yet again, I can't imagine a child reading this.

The book is actually a collection of short stories including Rip Van Winkle and Sleepy Hollow. The stories are all based around a Dutch settlement in the state of New York. Some are vaguely interesting but they don't really grab me. Not one I'll be reading again.

Blackout - Marc Elsberg

Nico put me onto this book after waiting a long time for an English translation. It follows the story of a varied group of characters spread across Europe during a continent wide blackout.

It's an absolute page turner. The scary thing is how realistic and plausible the story is. I could imagine this book as a film. The characters and story are brilliant, I can't recommend it enough.

Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame

Now this is a real children's classic. I love this story with its lovable characters and moral stories. It really makes me feel like a child again reading about Rat, Mole, Badger and Toad and their fun adventures. Looking forward to reading this one with the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment