Tuesday 26 December 2017

Reading Review

Small Great Things - Jodi Picoult

This book, passed on to me by my Mum, was everything I hoped for. I read My Sister's Keeper several years ago and I know that Picoult is excellent at making the big issues real on a personal level.

Small Great Things tackles the issue of racism from several perspectives on so many levels. The events of the story are so close to home, it's unreal, following the story of baby Davis who dies before he is even a week old, leading his white power parents to blame and sue the African American nurse.

Picoult writes in such a way that I could identify with all of the characters at times and of course, it was a tear jerker.

Murder on Pilgrims' Way - Julie Wassmer

Another book passed on from my Mum, I enjoyed this murder mystery set just outside of Canterbury.

It was a quick and easy read but it kept me guessing until the end and had some clever twists.

I skipped two of the series but look forward to catching up and I'm enjoying hearing that there's even a TV series in the works!

Shibumi -Trevanian

Nico bought me this book as he is currently reading and enjoying the German translation. It follows the life story of a world-class assasin with Japanese, Russian and German roots right up to his current tete-a-tete with the American government.

It covers such an eclectic and eccentric mix of topics from the game of Go to the Basque language and was a fantastic read, not at all dated by the forty years that have passed since it was written.

No comments:

Post a Comment