Thursday 5 August 2010

Be Careful What You Wish For

As many of you will remember, in the weeks leading up to my departure for Bremen, I was bemoaning to anyone and everyone the fact that it meant I would only have two weeks of school holiday because the schools in Bremen finished for the Summer weeks ago and started back on the 2nd August.  Well it now seems that I have been granted my wish for longer holidays as I am nearing the end of my third week of freedom! 

This week has been very strange.  Part of me feels like a tourist - staying in a hostel, reading novels (I'm nearing the end of my fourth in six days!), writing postcards and spending lazy hours in the many coffee shops of Bremen.  Well, I say many but I now have a set route that I have taken every day.  I walk straight to the starbucks by the cathedral from the hostel for my first coffee, then I either wander around the square or out to the station to go to the post office and finally back down the main road, picking up a nice fresh fruit pot from the market before a last coffee and people watching session on the main street.  I'm sure the waiters think I'm a little crazy, they almost know my order off my heart! 

In other ways, it's starting to sink in that I'm staying a little longer than the usual holiday maker.  My health insurance came through on Tuesday, closely followed by my bank account info today.  Also, I was allowed to visit school yesterday (the last day before the pupils come back) and it was great to look around and meet my new colleagues who were all lovely.  It's quite informal and friendly for a German school staff and there are also lots of young staff.  One teacher has already offered to help with accommodation - I'm not sure exactly how until I call them tomorrow but with the way my flat hunting is going, anything will be good.  I've got all my books and had some meetings with some of the teams I will be working with.  I don't have my own form but one teacher has invited me to visit his year 6 (English Year 8) group and that will be nice as I will be teaching that class for English and also, if things go to plan, that will be the class we set a link to HGS up with. 

I went back to the education office to hand over the other papers but until this last one comes in the post, she won't let me sign my contract and therefore, I'm not insured to go back in to school. :-( 

As mentioned, the flat hunting is not going great either.  I saw three near school today.  One is ok but not available until September.  The other two were really small and one had damp and rot in the walls.  I don't know what the letting agent was thinking because nobody in their right minds would take it.  I will see what my new colleague has to say tomorrow and I'm also still holding out some hope for the one I'm seeing next week. 

No pictures today but I am hoping to have a bit of a touristy day tomorrow and have replaced my camera batteries today so I will take some snaps tomorrow to show you all what you will see when you come to visit!!

So with some caution as to what I might get, I'm changing my wish.  Three weeks holiday will be plenty - I don't want to be behind before I get started in my new job.  And instead, if it's not too much to ask, I'm wishing for a nice, good value, reasonably located flat, with a balcony if possible! 

No comments:

Post a Comment