Monday 2 August 2010

Lost Weekend

Well, it’s been the perfect lost weekend. It started with a very early Saturday morning taking Briony to the airport and I worried about how I was going to cope by myself again after four intense days of upheaval that I only survived thanks to such amazing family support. However, thanks to the brilliant European way that everything closes down at the weekend, I have been forced to sit back and relax as there is really little I can do about the work and flat situation until Monday. I always remember one school assembly where there was a prayer or thought at the end that went something like ‘Give me the strength to act when necessary, the patience to do nothing when nothing can be done and the wisdom to know the difference’ and that thinking has certainly helped this weekend.

Having made sure that Briony got safely off home (and on time – thanks Ryanair), I headed to the hostel and as I couldn’t check in until four pm, took a long walk into Bremen town centre. It was kind of eerie at 8am with all of the shops closed (good for the purse obviously though) and I took with me the book I started just last week – ‘Eat, Pray, Love’. What an amazing read about a woman travelling through Italy, India and Indonesia over the course of a year in a voyage of self-discovery. I especially liked the first section set in Italy as it was easier to relate to following my own European adventures but the whole book was quite thought provoking and I really enjoyed it. I imagine it is better to read it before the film comes out later this year as the film is rarely better than the book so anyone who wants it sending home for them to read, let me know.

In amongst finishing the book and numerous coffees about Bremen, I met Linda for lunch. Linda is an Irish girl who is on the same programme as me, teaching English and French here in Bremen. It was truly wonderful to meet someone else in the same boat. Of course I wish that her week had gone better but it did me the world of good to realise that I wasn’t the only one who had already thought about packing up and heading back home before the first week was out. However, we are both still here and now looking forward to our adventure and I hope that we will be able to discover a bit more of Bremen together when we are both settled.

Last night, apart from reading, I watched a DVD I bought a while ago in my new French frenzy – ‘Paris – Je t’aime’. It’s a lovely little film, well lots of little films actually all about love in Paris and different types of love, it was really sweet and got me back into the swing of French for a while – that and the French group staying in the hostel.

Today was a somewhat quieter affair with even more of Bremen closed down for Sunday. I had a leisurely stroll into Bremen again following a lovely breakfast in the hostel. (Which, by the way, I could not recommend more highly – my single room is costing me the same if not less than a flat would and has its own en suite and mini kitchenette) During my stroll, I came across a little theatre group that puts on a performance of 'The Bremen Town Musicians' every Sunday at 12.  It is quite a lovely little fairytale, apparantly written by the Brothers Grimm.  See the photos.  I started and finished a new book today – The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It was recommended to me by a friend and I am posting it back to my Gran who I’m sure will love it. Another thrilling read, and I highly recommend it. As I was unable to food shop – it being Sunday – I ate dinner at the Chinese restaurant on the same street as the restaurant – had an amazing three course meal and wine for under 20 Euros. If you ever come to Bremen, you must visit this little restaurant in Jakobistrasse.



I realise I am doing little more than raving about everything I have done this weekend and it really has been a lovely experience despite moments of homesickness when Skype is distorting the voices of my nearest and dearest beyond recognition. However, I am still overcome with a worry that the authorities will turn up at any minute and kick me out of the country for some misdemeanour that I wasn’t even aware of but a memory came to me just now that has settled things again. It was a conversation with a work friend of mine whose friend had gone to work in Egypt and was experiencing similar doubts and someone said to her – well what’s the absolute worst that can happen? – you have to come home, to a family and friends who love you! And whoever that was, was absolutely right. So I am going to settle down with another DVD (Monster – ok so not the best one to watch alone but at least it’s not Hostel!!) and have an early night before another day of sorting things out tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment