Saturday 30 April 2011

The Saturday Update

Good news this week!  Four and a half pounds off.  A new personal best and now at my lightest weight this year!  I feel great.  I think the exercise (riding about on my new bike) has really helped.  Between that, sticking to the plan and staying off the alcohol, I feel much better this week.  I'm still keeping that before picture on my desktop though.  I'm thinking of printing it out and sticking it to my fridge if I get chance this week, just to keep my motivation up and stop the dreaded yoyoing! 

Next weekend we are headed to Nico's town again for his cousins confirmation so I will be weighing in in just six days (hopefully extra reason to keep on track), as well as gaining another experience as I have never been to a confirmation before!

Well this week has been a lot quieter compared to the first week of the holidays.  Of course there was our big bike trip last Sunday and the required day of rest/recovery on Monday.  On Tuesday we headed across town to the bike store to get a helmet for Nico (I will also be investing in one shortly).  Cycling in the city was very different to being in the country last weekend.  Apart from the cars, there are the other cyclists and crazy pedestrians.  I definitely won't be trying it alone for a while.  Ever since I arrived here in July as a foreign driver on the wrong side of the road or car depending on your perspective, I have cursed many a Bremen cyclist for not looking when they cross roads, even if they have right of way but now I am one of them.  This is not because I am a crazy arrogant cyclist with a death wish but simply because when I am on a bike, I suffer with the same affliction as my 87 year old grandmother does when walking...that is, if I look in one direction, the bike tends to follow that direction!  Which can be highly dangerous among all of the hazards I already pointed out.  So yes... no cycling alone in the city until I have had a fair amount of practice.

Since Tuesday, the bike has remained in the cellar until I get a lock and my biking partner back.  For the first time in six months, we are spending some time apart as he is on a hiking trip in the Harz.  Of course, the first night he was away there was a thunderstorm and today when I got up, there's a giant spider on my wall (the first of both in six months) but I am managing even though I miss him like crazy.  Only one more day to wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment