Sunday 22 May 2011

Bremen Election Time

So today, yep Sunday, saw the state and local elections in Bremen and, quite unexpectedly, as a resident here, I was allowed to vote!  As a foreigner the process was a little different in that I had to fill in different coloured papers (not quite sure how they are used differently) but on the whole it was very straight forward.

Two things I especially like about the politics in Bremen at the moment.  The first is that they have a political party called the Pirates!  The other is that each voter has five votes in each election (I think this is similar to the reform that has just received a big no in England from what I have heard) but actually, it's great.  If you are not sure between two parties, you can give votes to both!  Or if you love one party you can give them all of your five votes.  I split my vote accordingly and the results so far (it's only 40 minutes since the vote closed) are very good for the social democrats with the greens in a strong second place (yay!).  Unfortunately the pirates didn't get in...

No comments:

Post a Comment