Monday 23 May 2011

Gluten Free Living



Apart from the new political insight, yesterday also brought another new suspicion.  For years now I have suffered with my stomach and after various tests at the hospital was told it was just IBS and there was nothing to be done except to avoid the foods that brought it on.  The worst culprit is bread and on the whole I do manage to avoid it and when I don't I just have to put up with the consequences. 

However yesterday, Nico was on the internet research again and came up with another idea.  Now I have to say that I am not a fan of self diagnosis, my Grandmother for one, drives me mad with her medical encyclopedia, but the way that all of the symptoms seem to fit is just incredible.  So we think I am allergic to gluton.  It can bring on all kinds of symptoms apart from the pain, such as skin rashes and moodiness.  (You can see why Nico was on the point of suggesting it).  

So now we are researching recipes and ways to control it.  It's not just bread as I though, but any wheat related product which cuts out things like cereal and pasta so it's going to take some time to find substitutes but cutting back immediately is already making me feel better.  Hopefully it will also help me with the diet since bread and pasta are two of the areas where a lot of my points go.

What is really annoying though is that we can pick up on something like this online, when numerous English doctors failed to suggest or even mention the possibility.  Left ignored, the allergy can cause more extreme problems, even cancer so it's worth checking out.  I won't be trusting doctors with a 'put up and shut up' diagnosis again.

No comments:

Post a Comment