Monday 30 May 2011

A Note on Bank Holidays

Yes I can see you all over there on 'the island' feeling all smug with yourselves because it's Bank Holiday Monday yet again and I'm working while you all sun yourselves, go shopping and enjoy barbecues yet again.  And you probably all remember what I said about German bank holidays and how if they fall on the weekend, that's just tough luck, no day off work like in England and feel even smugger.  But I have finally found the loophole that makes it all worthwhile...

Yes, here in Germany we have two Bank Holidays coming up.  I'm not sure what exactly they are for - they are Christian holidays I think, since there's no Royal Family to marry off over here.  So just like the 3rd October was a Sunday last year and that was tough luck, these holidays fall on a Thursday and Tuesday and this time, never mind tough luck, the Germans don't see the logic in having a Thursday off and then going into work for just one day, so they 'bridge' the holiday and we get two days off!!  So this week is a three day week, a full week next week and then another three day week and I'm going to make the most of it and feel very smug at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment