Friday 14 October 2011

Cherry Cola

I had another great adult class last night.  We ran over by 15 minutes because time ran away with us.  I also had one of those surreal teaching / language moments.

I have a new pupil who speaks English with a very strong accent.  I have to really concentrate to listen to her but she is so positive and bubbly, that makes it really easy to work with her.  After the lesson last night she was asking me about my accent (You can take the girl out of Yorkshire,...).  Here's how the conversation went:

Her: 'Do you know Cherry Cola?'
Me: 'Yes.'
Her: '...the popstar?'
Me: 'Oh, no, I don't then' (Thinking, pop star names are getting ridiculous)
Her: 'She's a judge on the X-factor and I can't understand her accent.'
Me: (Lightbulb moment) 'Oh you mean Cheryl Cole!  Yes, she's from Newcastle.'

No comments:

Post a Comment