Sunday 13 November 2011

27 things...try a yoga class.

On Friday I took the latest step in my transformation into a hippy and went to my first yoga class!  A friend of mine has been going for a while and as I have Friday afternoons free, we decided to go together this week.  

I have to admit it wasn't exactly as I expected.  I went to pilates last year and really enjoyed it and thought it would be a little more like that.  It's not completely different but it is more relaxing.  The centre itself is really nice.  I think it's a fairly new company.  You can see for yourself here.  The floors are all wooden, there are some lovely changing rooms and shower areas.  There's a reception with sofas where you can drink tea before the class (included in the price).  The yoga studio itself is a reasonable size, the lights were dimmed and there are candles and scented oils everywhere.  

The class started with a few words from the teacher on the theme of the week - love and a reading from Buddha.  Then there was a little bit of quiet time or meditation.  The exercises themselves are strength building and stretches that relax and strengthen the body.  The best way I can think to describe the difference between yoga and pilates in my experience is that yoga is somehow more relaxing, although not by any means easy.  The teacher makes it look easy but there were a few positions that it will take me some time to learn.  We also had the advantage that she translates the instructions into English when she can see that we haven't understood something.

I've signed up to go once a week and next week we're going to meet before hand for a drink.  I find it a great way to end the week and get into a relaxed mood for the weekend.  I also think that once I get back to cycling and have my fitness training that way, yoga will compliment it nicely and hopefully help to build my strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment