Wednesday 23 November 2011

On Bilingualism

Sometimes, especially before I moved to Germany, I feel really proud of myself for being able to communicate in more than one language.  I completely believe that it's great exercise for a whole different part of the brain and one which it's now hard to switch off.  I dream in German and have even started to create my own Gerglish language!  It makes me feel especially proud of myself given my home country's lack of ambition when it comes to foreign languages.  I must admit though that since being here, I have realised that my second (and third and fourth) languages isn't as good as I thought and I still have a long way to go...I'm working on it though.

My ultimate ambition would be to be like this amazing man who unfortunately passed away this week but left us with some great entertainment.



Not only did Georg Kreisler come up with some pretty amazing word play in his own native language, but then moved to America and did it all over again in English and so well that you can barely hear his accent.  R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment