Wednesday 21 December 2011

Mince Pies in Germany

Another of my Christmas English lessons this week involved 23 adolescents, a lot of flour and the school kitchen as I got them into baking mince pies.

We read through the recipe last week, decided on the groups of four and they divided up the shopping lists in preparation.  Of course, some still arrived without certain ingredients and had to be sent of to the corner shop but that was the smallest of problems.  

Kids being kids, a number of them turned their noses up and the idea of baking with raisins or ginger and decided to make their own concoctions.  Of the six groups, two did an excellent job (one of those even made an extra batch of cherry pies without a recipe!).  The all boy groups made a mess and a lot of noise, and I dread to think how their pies tasted.

I thought a double lesson and break (two hours) would suffice but I was still ten minutes late to my next lesson.  

So far, it looks like I am complaining a lot and didn't really enjoy the lesson.  It's not like that though.  I'm glad that we tried something different, especially for those who thanked me after and for those who don't get to do stuff like this at home.  It's nice to teach outside your own subject sometimes too.  I certainly wouldn't do it with another class - these are my best behaved kids and I nearly threw some of them out the window - but on the whole, looking back, I did enjoy the lesson...now I just need a good night's sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment