Sunday 12 February 2012

Where I'm From

I am from the White Rose county, from Morrisons and home made shepherd's pie.
 
I am from the comfortable, family home with the blue garage door.
 
I am from daffodils, ferns and oak trees.

I am from the cupboard under the stairs, shelves full of books and playful, patient cats.
 
I am from Boxing Day gatherings and hooked noses, from Shires' and Crossfields and Grandma Kathleen.  I am from the stubborn and the sensitive and the adventurous.
  
From a town which "isn't the same as when I was a girl", from school reports that could always be better and where hard work will get you anywhere.
 
I am from summers spent on windy beaches. Swimming, playing and reading.

I'm from Leeds, Scotland and Wales, from tuna pasta salad in Summer and Sunday dinner with Yorkshire Pudding.  From mince pies at Christmas and chocolate eggs at Easter.

I am from a catholic education, atheist heritage and buddhist principles.

From the woman who joined the army at seventeen to escape home, the woman who taught me how to feel, the man who taught me how to learn, and the grandparents I never knew.

I am from holidays in Scarborough and Cornwall, weekends on the touchline, and ballet shoes.  From the tinkling melody of the piano and the long evenings of homework.  From the foreign travels and a need to explore that's got me where I am today.

Thanks to Bridey for the inspiration and here's a template you can use.

1 comment: