Friday 23 March 2012

Just say no!

One of my 27 things was to pay off a credit card before my birthday next month.  As I have already blogged, I achieved this in Autumn and I called in December to close the account.  I knew at the time I was being conned but when the woman on the end of the line asked me if I wanted to claim my £20 credit for being a loyal customer, I thought why not!  Even though I confirmed with her that I was closing the account, obviously it wasn't closed as I still kept receiving statements with the credit on there.

As part of the Reinvention Programme that I took part in in January, we were to look at our situations and see where we might have money that we weren't claiming.  I had three things on my list - my tax return, my deposit from my last flat (which I am still waiting for seven months later!  More on that later) and this £20 on my credit card.

On Wednesday, I was sorting some finances and I finally called Barclaycard, got the money transferred and closed the account.  In order to close the account, I had to speak to a special closures department and I now know where all the pushy, annoying people work.  (I would say in Britain but I'm not convinced it was in Britain).  Every time I asked her to close the account, she came up with a reason for keeping it open.  In the end, I had to raise my voice (albeit with a please on the end) to get her to close the account!  I think that it this day and age, with so many people in such crazy debt (and yes, I belong in that group) that companies are so pushy in order to keep you in debt.  Anyway, I am proud of myself and bracing myself for the same call to the next card company in a few months!

No comments:

Post a Comment