Saturday 9 June 2012

The Saturday Update

What a week!  I don't know where it has gone but it's been a great one.  We had an amazingly productive Saturday last week in which I sorted out all my clothes and stored them away, Nico planted lots of veg on the front balcony and we put the cat net up on the back balcony.  Pete is certainly loving that last bit and has been making the most of any opportunity to get out there all week.  It can no longer be said that we aren't using the space we have to its full potential.

On Sunday we had more of a relaxing day before we were back at work on Monday.  It was hectic at work for both of us as Nico was invigilating exams again.  For me it was a different kind of stress with four of my seven classes on school trips which meant lots of cover lessons for me, which went better than expected except for one when I had to call the head in.  The worst thing about cover lessons for me is not knowing the names of all the pupils.  It also doesn't help that the older ones aren't as impressed if I just speak English to them all the time -  a trick that cows the little ones into silence for most of the lesson.

Apart from that I had my English coffee time on Tuesday this week.  There were only two of us but the owner of the cafe talked to us about maybe organising a real languages exchange once a week there so I'm hoping that might take off.  It would be great to get a bit of French and Spanish practice in.

On Wednesday I had a meeting at the council about my contract which was positive as they can give me the recognition papers I need for the contract but has led to more waiting as to whether I need it for one or two subjects.  At the moment they can only recognise my Spanish qualifications as I teach English but aren't technically qualified to and I am qualified to teach German but as a foreign language, which I can't teach here.  It's such a pain at times but hopefully I will get a more concrete answer soon.

On Thursday I came home to a lovely surprise dinner date on our balcony!  The weather was beautiful so we had delicious home made gluten free pizza and wine and talked, which was really lovely.  Of course Pete had to be out there too and actually sat on our laps way more than he ever does indoors.  It was great to be away from the screens for once.

Friday was my day off to do year ten marking.  It was an amazingly productive day.  I had my first German dentist appointment (more on that this week), I got all the cleaning and washing done, did the food shopping, Skyped with Hayley, finished the bootees for her baby (more on that this week too!), sorted out some more of the things Mum brought over, took Pete to the vet and started organising my space in the office a bit better - I'm hoping to finish that today.

I stayed the same this week, which after the wine consumption and not being able to track everything, I am quite pleased about.  Need to up the ante a bit next week and get more exercise done I think.

Next week will be back to normal at work.  Loreto will be back from her trip to Manchester.  Tomorrow we are heading to Nico's family for his grandfather's birthday - I hope this weather holds!  Also on the list for today is getting our Summer holiday booked!  I need something to get me through another six weeks of school...

No comments:

Post a Comment