Sunday 2 September 2012

28 things - Get a permanent contract!


 It has been eighteen months since I first asked the headmaster of my school for an extension of my placement there.  It has taken blood, sweat and tears to get this far but finally, on Monday, I signed my permanent contract to stay on at my school teaching English and Spanish.

If there is one thing I have learned about Germany since I have been here it's that it's not as efficient as it would have you believe.  There is so much red tape - especially, apparently, in the education department.  I realised also, how far I had come this week when I thought back to that very first week in Bremen, running around between offices, trying to organise health insurance, a new doctor, a new flat and a million pieces of paperwork, all the time struggling with the language and just signing everything they put in front of me.  This time around I dealt with it all much better - read through the contract and asked relevant questions.  It felt right, which made me even more certain that I'm doing the right thing.  I feel more settled and happier than ever...then again, speak to me at the end of the first week back - I hope I still feel this good!

Our celebration dinner of fish and wedges with champagne

No comments:

Post a Comment