Monday 26 November 2012

28 things - Learn and Find Three New Constellations


This week, I unexpectedly completed a new task on my 28 list.  As long as I can remember now, I've been able to spot the famous 'Big Dipper' up in the skies on clear nights.  This year, I decided I wanted to be able to spot a few more.





The first one I spotted was while we were in the Harz.  I remember hearing about this constellation in the film Serendipity but I hadn't been able to spot it until we were in those lovely clear skies.  There is a story about the Queen who gave the constellation its name.  Apparently she was so vain that when she passed on, the Gods turned her upside down to punish her vanity.




Orion was the next constellation I spotted, just this week.  Orion's belt was something I already knew about and had spotted but I never knew it was part of a bigger constellation - one which I found while cycling through the park one evening this week.  It is also known as the Hunter!




Finally, a brand new constellation to me, which I also spotted on the park cycle this week is Aquila, or the Eagle.  

So another goal of my list and I am pleased with myself.  My next goal is to spot the little dipper...

No comments:

Post a Comment