Sunday 25 November 2012

Journey to the Centre of the Earth






My classic book of the month for November was Jules Vernes' Journey to the Centre of the Earth.  I've never seen the film, I had no idea about the story other than the title.  The combination of the title and the era in which the book was written made me think that this could be a challenge of a book on the scale of Moby Dick but I was really pleasantly surprised.  

First of all, the book has a European connection which always improves a book in my eyes.  Secondly it wasn't overly detailed in its scientific references.  At no point was I bored or made to feel too stupid to understand.  Finally, it wasn't too fantastical.  It probably was considered it at the time it was written but I found it much more believable than some of the books I have read.  

Overall the book was really enjoyable, with likeable characters and a brilliant adventure story line.  It almost reminded me of the Lord of the Rings in parts.  A thoroughly good read.  I highly recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment