Friday 8 February 2013

28 things...go on a wine tasting experience!






On Wednesday, Nico and I headed into town for our appointment in the Bremen town hall cellar.  I love wine.  For a long time, I have wanted to learn a little more about wine and the different flavours and Nico, ever the perfect gift giver, bought me these tickets for a tour of the Bremen wine cellars, including wine and chocolate tasting, and this week we did it.



It was fantastic.  We learnt so much about the process of wine making and storing and also about the history of Bremen and at each stage, we were served a different wine with a well paired chocolate.  


First up was a half dry champagne while we inspected the 'vault' where the oldest and most valuable wines are stored.  That went with an almond praline.  Then were the white wines, first a dry and then a sweet, while we saw the normal storage rooms.


Up last were the red wines.  The first was dry and very nice but the last one blew me away.  It reminded me of a lovely French wine I had had with duck at a Christmas meal with some colleagues in Harrogate and never forgot.  The great thing is that prices are so much better here than in England.  In England, the bottle cost over thirty pounds but this one - 14 Euros.  That's expensive for here but I'll definitely be stocking up before my red wine drinking buddy's next visit!

This is the oldest wine in Bremen.  It costs 20000 Euros for a 'finger' and Queen Elizabeth II was the last person to drink from it!
 And though it was a school night - I felt great the day after.  I would definitely recommend the experience to anyone and they offer tours in different languages as we saw a Spanish one while we were there.






No comments:

Post a Comment