Sunday 10 March 2013

Anna Karenina






After about four weeks (it feels a little longer) I've finally finished this epic novel.  I really wanted to read it before watching the film and I managed it!  

I've loved reading so many classics over the last year or so and this was no exception.  It was another look at 'high society' - this time in Russia.  I had already heard and totally agree that it is similar to Madame Bovary which I read last year.  

I loved the way the characters and the story developed.  I also loved that the story focused on several characters' lives instead of just one but also interlinked them all.  

What I didn't like so much were the huge sections of the story which were only focused on economics or politics, they lost me a little.  It's not that I didn't understand entirely - I took a lot of Russian history at school and university - but it's not what I want to read for fun and the book could have been a fair bit shorter for it.  The philosophical bit was okay though.

Next classical project will be Les Miserables before watching that film but in the meantime, I'm excited to see what this film version is like, roll on Friday.


No comments:

Post a Comment