Sunday 17 March 2013

My Story - Dave Pelzer

source
After finishing Anna Karenina, I wanted a break from the classics and my brain wasn't ready to go back to German so I picked up this autobiography that I got for Christmas.

This book first came to my attention when I worked at WHSmiths and it was a big hit on the lists but I didn't really know much about it until I did my teacher training and a few of the other trainees had read it.  

It tells the true story of Dave Pelzer who grew up in the USA in the seventies with an abusive mother.  Throughout teacher training, I heard stories of abused children and it's something that seems to come up on the news every so often and quickly get forgotten about again.  I've never read such an account as this though.  

It wasn't an easy book to read - especially the first part which focuses on his childhood - the worst time, but it was an interesting book and it has a strong message of overcoming such a background, which was important.  I'm glad the book had a happy ending, even though many similar stories haven't.

It's not a genre I want to get too into but I'm glad I read this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment