Sunday 8 September 2013

Wardrobe Clearout

It's strange but true that just a couple of weeks ago, someone with as many OCD characteristics as I have could lay claim to this wardrobe.  Finally sick of wading through crumpled up tops, to find something that fit and looked decent for work, I decided to do something about it.  I knew I couldn't cope with another winter of conducting that morning search in the dark!

Although I haven't bought all that many new clothes in the last three years, I have finally managed (thanks to my lovely, kind parents) to move all of my clothes with me to Germany and the result is the chaos you see above.  I have been three different dress sizes over the past ten years or so and my wardrobe still contained all of the evidence of this.

It took two days of sorting, but I finally weaned out everything that didn't fit (excepting a couple of sentimental items) and everything with a hole or other irreparable damage.  

I learnt two things about myself during this process:
1. I wear way too much black!
2. I'm a hoarder.
Both things to work on in future.

The wardrobe was already sorted into sections (tops, jumpers, bottoms, dresses, etc) and there was even space for my jewellery and toiletries but it was getting a little cramped.

I'm already benefiting from the new organisation on a morning as I know that whatever I lay my hands on will fit!  It's certainly sped things up, and along with some other adjustments to my daily routine with my new timetable, it's really helped me settle into the new school year.

Here's how it looks now:

I feel better just looking at it!

I'm hoping that an added benefit to this project will be a bit of financial relief in selling some of the undamaged clothes that just don't fit any more.  There are some pretty good pieces in there.  I'm ashamed to say that some had never even been worn.  
The cleared out clothes
I haven't decided what format the sale will take yet but I'm working on it and plan to put half the profits towards my debts and half towards some new, well fitting, brighter clothes!

No comments:

Post a Comment