Tuesday 25 March 2014

Les Miserables

source
Left to my own devices on Saturday evening, I finally got around to watching this film.  I bought it just after finishing the book which I really enjoyed and then forgot all about it until I was searching for something to watch that Nico wouldn't mind missing out on (I'm saving the SATC marathon for maternity leave).

I really enjoyed the film.  Enough time had passed between reading the novel and watching the musical for me to forgive the changes made to the plot.  Of course, I will always believe that the book is better than the film but this time I really felt that the film was a nice reminder of the story.

The only criticism I would have is that absolutely everything is done through song and it gets a little repetitive.  Of course, I expect a lot of music in a musical but I prefer the likes of Grease where the dialogue is still plain dialogue and the musical numbers generally fit to the story line.  By repetitive I mean that often it seemed the same music was used with different words rather than having a whole new song.  However, the numbers were so epic that I could overlook this.

On the positive side, I liked the acting and the singers were very powerful.  Russel Crowe's singing voice really reminded me of someone else and it is driving me a little crazy but I can't figure out where I have heard it before.  I've probably mentioned before that singing is my big no go so I have a huge level of respect for anyone who sings in public, especially when it's not directly how they learn their living.

No comments:

Post a Comment