Friday 28 March 2014

Sweeter Dreams

From the little research I have done, I expected crazy dreams during pregnancy and even some insomnia but I thought the insomnia would be brought on by the baby moving about.  

The sleeplessness has only just kicked in but I'm finding it really hard to pinpoint what is causing it.  I don't have trouble nodding off but when I wake up at two or three in the morning, there is no getting back to sleep.

However, for the last few nights things have improved again and I thought I would share some of the things I've been trying on here in case someone else could benefit from them.

It's a long time since I went to bed without reading a few pages first.  If we watch TV until bed time, I find it much harder to switch off.  It's not something that I've changed lately but something I really recommend.

First of all, as soon as I get into bed, I've started filling out a gratitude journal.  Lately, what with all the hormones, lots of things have been getting me down and I wondered if that might be what keeps me awake, so I decided to take the focus off the negative and start appreciating the good things.  I aim to write at least three things each day and so far it is working.  I go to sleep feeling much more positive.

Something I have been using for a while that suddenly started working is one of these pregnancy pillows.  It helps soo much.  I thought it was just to stop pregnant women rolling onto their stomachs but it really helps with the joint pains and heartburn and for the last two nights I haven't moved in my sleep.

Finally, I have been applying lavender to my temples and pulse points before I go to sleep.  We used to just use it when we couldn't sleep but now I use it all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment