Monday 21 April 2014

Reading Review

The King's Deception - Steve Berry

I stumbled across this author a few years ago and am a huge fan. The best of his novels feature a character called Cotton Malone and this latest work belongs to that series. The novels have a heavy focus on history and each book tends to take place in a different country. The writer really reminds me of Dan Brown. 

The King's Deception takes place in London and has a heavy focus on Tudor history so it was especially interesting for me. The story was full of twists and I highly recommend it. It also has the benefit of including one of Berry's novellas which I am currently reading. 

Now that I have an e-reader I'm keen to buy his e-books to keep me going until his next novel comes out.

The Amber Spyglass - Philip Pullman

As part of my goal to read the BBC's top 100 novels, I finally got around to finishing this trilogy. I left way too long in between each of the novels which confused things slightly as the story is extremely complex and there was too much detail to forget in between. 

The story itself was really good. The world that Pullman creates for the reader is fascinating and so creative and the story and characters are interesting and keep you on the edge of your seat. I can certainly see how the trilogy made the top 100 but really recommend reading all three together.

Emil of Lonneberga - Astrid Lindgren

Nico bought this book in German (Immer dieser Michel) ready for the baby when it's a bit older. I hadn't heard of this one - Lindgren is better known for another of her works - Pippi Longstocking. While it is a children's book, I still found it entertaining reading as well as good practice for my German. 

Lindgren wrote stories with traditional morals that aren't outdated. Emil lives on a farm in Sweden and always manages to get up to mischief despite his best intentions. I especially love the tone the writer uses in treating her readers with respect despite their age. The closest parallel I could draw was Enid Blighton - one of my childhood favourites. 

No comments:

Post a Comment