Sunday 13 April 2014

Reading Round-Up

Wolf Hall -Hilary Mantel

I kind of did this one the wrong way around. I bought and read 'Bring Up the Bodies' last year when I read all the hype about it and really enjoyed the book. Maybe it's because of that but I didn't enjoy Wolf Hall quite as much. It was still good - strong characters and a big history focus which I always love. 

If you are into historical fiction, this is for you. I really recommend reading these in chronological order though.

Nicholas Nickleby -Charles Dickens

When we rearranged the bookcase lately I became truly aware of just how many Dickensian novels I have read in the last year or so. Yes, classics can take a bit more effort to get through but I never get bored with Dickensian. He writes fantastic, entertaining characters and brilliant stories which have so many strands which come together - I love it! Nicholas Nickleby is no different, I really enjoyed it for all of the above reasons. And this isn't even one of his most popular ones! I'm so looking forward to working through the rest of his work.

The Keys to the Kingdom Series - Garth Nix

This one is kind of a guilty pleasure for me in that it is written for teenagers but I started it years ago and always wanted to read the other six books. (There are seven in all, based on the days of the week.) I bought them last year and finally got around to reading them this week.

I got through these at a rate of one a day!! Yes, I'm on holiday at the moment but they are also that easy to read. Nix creates a whole new world with seven realms for the protagonist Arthur to discover and rescue. Arthur is a teenager from Earth who kind of gets dragged into this adventure - something of an underdog who is easy to identify with. That, along with the fantastical worlds, characters and creations as well as the constant action make the series seriously addictive. Highly recommended for readers of all ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment