Tuesday 20 May 2014

Reading Round-up

Great with Child - Beth Ann Fennelly

I picked this book up on a tip from one of my favourite bloggers who had a baby last summer and I wasn't disappointed. The book is a series of actual letters sent from the author to a friend over the course of the friend's pregnancy.

It covers a range of topics, both practical and emotional relating to pregnancy and motherhood. I really enjoyed it and will recommend it to all mothers-to-be.

The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared - Jonas Jonasson

This was top of the best sellers list here in Germany. I used the last of my Christmas vouchers to buy it and read it in German. At first, I found it very hard to get into but once I got going I couldn't put it down. 

It tells the very story described in the title and features flashbacks throughout the man's life. It reminded me a little of Forrest Gump. By the halfway point it was almost like reading two stories and both kept me on the edge of my seat. Very good read.

Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh

Back to the BBC top 100 challenge with this 'classic'. I'm afraid it also took some getting into and I only really continued past a certain point because I refuse to give up once I have started a new book. 

It's also set in the period between World War One and World War Two and focuses on the lives of some upper class characters. The story basically follows their lives over that period. It provided an insight into a very specific time and class but otherwise held very little interest for me. 

To be honest, I never really 'got' The Great Gatsby and this was like an English version of that for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment