Tuesday 22 July 2014

Atonement

source
I first watched this film about six years ago and quite honestly, I didn't 'get it'. I found it quite confusing and didn't really connect with the characters.

As part of my 100 classics goal, I recently read the book. Surprisingly, I really enjoyed it. The tragic story was compelling and I connected with all the characters, even feeling sorry for Briony. Of course, I often enjoy books more than their film adaptations. It was so good, I decided to revisit the film.

And I was pleasantly surprised! Having the whole story to mind, the film is much easier to follow and more enjoyable. I still found some of the characters difficult but on the whole it was a good experience.

I don't often read the book and watch the film so close together when I make comparisons but will be doing in future. It made the film much more enjoyable as I wasn't constantly trying to remember the book to see how true to the story they stayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment