Tuesday 18 November 2014

Reading Review

Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving

This is a book I never would have picked up had it not been on the BBC top 100 list and it took some getting into but it really was worth it.

This is Owen Meany's life story told from the point of view of his best friend. There are lots of twists and it's actually quite funny. The charcters are so well written and the story very compelling. It kept me guessing right to the end.

Disgrace - Jussi Adler-Olson

This is the second book in the department Q series and it was another good, fast read. As with lots of the Scandanavian crime novels, there was a complex plot with well formed characters.  The main detective is quite the underdog but it's also easy to identify with him. Again, I'm really looking forward to the next of these.

Dune - Frank Herbert

Again, not a book that would normally find its way onto my radar but one of the top 100 and I'm glad I read it.  Sci-fi is not my go to genre and it took me a while to get into this one because of the new jargon and unfamiliar names that took a while to recognize and get used to. (I later discovered a glossary at the back of the book.)

Dune is the now almost 'typical' story of a race war,set on the planet Arrakis.  Considering when the book was written though, this must have been one of the earlier versions of such a story. It is very cleverly written and the politics could be applied to a number of real world settings.

The characters weren't as enjoyable for me in this book but the story made up for that.  I'd still say this was a book for sci-fi fans more than anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment